August 01, 2005

a memory scribed in permanent ink

Snapdragons floating away

I ruminate on Rumi’s thoughts
To the tempo of my heart beat
Because he writes exactly how I felt about you

Because you bailed my eyes out
Of the cell imprisoning them
From this immense beauty I’ve never seen before

Like when you played a note for me
On a broken piano in the alley
That unpopped my ear drums.

When you sold your music used
“in case of an emotional emergency”
For tampons because you were dead broke that day

Chain smoked because you said
You had chronic oral fixation syndrome
And I wasn’t around to cure it

Gave your prized snapdragons
Moral support after you watered them
Every morning you woke up

Carefully expressed your feelings to me
By how you sat on the chair
And what you played on the stereo

Put a pinch of baking soda
In your omelets to make them
Seem bigger than they really are

Thought that collar bones
Were the classiest features of the female body
And cut off all the collars on your T-shirts

Always trumped my arguments
With a solid rebuttal
That shut me up because I couldn’t top it.

I’m a fiend and you’re the fix
And I feed my addiction only with
Memories about the way you moved me.

No comments: